Monday, December 12, 2011

Lumineria and Iranian Chit-Chat

Entrance to Kobe Lumineria

Exit of Kobe Lumineria






















On Tuesday evening, we went to see "Lumineria" in downtown Kobe.  It was a beautiful display of lights standing 40 feet high or so and stretching for several blocks. It began in December of 1995 to serve as a memorial for those who died in the Great Hanshin Earthquake that had taken place in January of the same year and to serve as a symbol of hope for those who survived.  This year it served in the same capacity as we all remember the earthquake and tsunami of 3/11.

On Wednesday evening, as I was working out in the gym, I happened to meet an Iranian who was competing in the adjacent arena's international power-lifting competition.  We went from small talk to a discussion about the differences between media perception and reality within our two countries and how people were really a lot more alike than not.  Before he let me say goodbye, he insisted I wait for him to return quickly to the arena so that he could give me a small gift for me and my family--an interesting buttery sweet with saffron and cardamom  spices and a bag of Iranian pistachios.  It was a sincere gesture of kindness and I wish I'd had something to give him on behalf of Americans as well, but I simply said farewell in the Farsi blessing he'd taught me earlier.

The rest of the week was rather ordinary: a trip to the library, some window shopping and eating out with the kids since my wife was sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment